Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sciennes is pronounced "Sheens"

Please, try to avoid sounding like such an American while you're over here.
It's "Edin-bura", don't pronounce it like Pittsburgh.
It's "Sheens" not "Sines".
It's "tuh-mah-toh" not "tuh-may-toh".

Well actually, in America we have this saying...


So I moved into my flat today.
26 Sciennes, Flat 5, Room 3. And as I've now discovered, it's pronounced "Sheens".

I know there's not a language barrier with studying in Scotland, but there might as well be.
As I was checking in, two gentlemen asked me four times whether or not I wanted help with my bags. I honestly couldn't understand them. I also struggled with my keys for about a minute for each of the three doors I had to unlock. It was pretty embarrassing.

Moving in was pretty simple, other than that. Having packed minimally, my room is pretty bare. I went shopping though, and it's beginning to feel a little more cozy.

It's not the easiest task, however..Let's just say I was pretty spoiled from living in Martin Hall, at Iowa State. Sciennes isn't exactly "new".
But it's all part of the experience. And I'm more than excited to be staying here for the next five months.

I met two of my flatmates: Anna from Arizona and Kate from England.
They seem pretty great. And it was nice to finally meet some people.

I'm already becoming pretty acquainted with the city. Tomorrow I expect to be pretty comfortable with navigating throughout the campus.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my bedroom.


This is the corner of my bookshelf which I've titled "HELP I'M HOMESICK". It consists of the foods which I've been informed are difficult to find here (ranch, peanut butter, M&Ms), and a watch set to home-time. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a lot of Home-Memorabilia. So once that edible supply runs out..

I'm currently trying to figure out the heater, cause it is FREEZING in here. Well, not really. I suppose for those of you back in Minnesota, it might feel quite nice in here...
I will say, the 40 degree weather is an upgrade from the -40 degree weather back home. And that's coming from this winter-loving girl.

Wish me luck not to catch something on fire while I struggle with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment