Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 1

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep a daily blog (it sounds like a lot of work) but I would like to post regular updates, even if they are small things.

Today I ventured out.

I saw many shops for kilts and cashmere, and other little shops full of souvenirs and trinkets. There's also plenty of places to eat, and cafes littered throughout. Some areas weren't the cleanest, or freshest smelling, but it's definitely a quaint area.
I saw Edinburgh Castle from a street below, and I passed by The Elephant House (birthplace of Harry Potter).

On accident, I ended up passing by George Heriot's School; there must have been a lunch break or something because there were students in uniforms everywhere.

At this point, I was pretty lost. I kept venturing, thinking eventually I'd find my way back.
I finally found Cowgate (the street on which my hotel is located) so I felt comfortable continuing my venture.
That's when I decided to spend an hour at the National Museum of Scotland.

After this, I tried to find my way back to my hotel. After a half hour of not finding it, I stopped at a Starbucks (I know it's lame to go to a Starbucks, but I needed the familiarity after having been lost). I grabbed a quick lunch there, and then continued searching for Cowgate. After another ten minutes of no luck, I finally jumped into a cab.

Looking at a map now, I'm glad I did. I was on a street completely at the other side of town.

I plan on going back out in a little while, to get dinner. I won't go as far, this time.

The thing about the prices here is everything is about how much you'd expect it to be in the States. If you think something's going to cost $12, it's £12.

But the exchange rate is around 1.7. So for me, the £5 taxi ride to get from one end of the town to another is about $8.5, which is pretty expensive.
Anyway, that's what today's been like.
Nothing too exciting, being that it's my first day on my own. I'm a little less adventurous and spontaneous in an unfamiliar place as a female traveler.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment