Sunday, February 16, 2014

London

A day and a half in London isn't nearly enough.

We left at 10:30 pm on a bus, Friday night. Imagine the worst night of sleep you've ever gotten, then imagine it while being surrounded by fifty sniffling/talking/snoring people: that's what it was like trying to "sleep" on the bus.
So when we arrived at 8:00 in the morning.. I was not ready to take on London.

My friends Tayllor and Shannon were on the trip as well, so I stuck with them for the weekend.
We first found a place to eat and get coffee. We spent most of the morning there, until we had a tour of London at noon.

The tour was great, because it hit on all the main sightseeing places.. but we did move a little too quickly for me to really soak it all in (I didn't even get many pictures).







When the tour was over, we were exhausted. So we went back to the hostel to take a quick nap before dinner. We ate at a nice Italian restaurant, which was a little pricey, but absolutely delicious.

Then Shannon was off to the Apollo to see Wicked (which she didn't end up making it to, we later found out, due to a sketchy taxi service.. we're just glad she ended up being safe!).

Tayllor and I, meanwhile, spent about three hours looking for a souvenir. We tried breaking it down to a science, and ended up over-analysing the process. Is it too obvious? Do I want it to be subtle? Does it represent my two days here? Does it seem like I was here for longer than two days? Is it the right size? 

We finally just went into the mall and did mindless wandering, and also searched for a cookie for about thirty minutes. I don't know what made us crave a cookie suddenly, but let me warn you: there is no where in London to get a cookie late at night.

The next day we went to Harrods (which is incredible, and ridiculous). This is where I ended up getting my souvenir (a Harrod's bunny, one of the few items I could afford in that store!) I also bought some Ladurée's macarons.
But Harrods is as insane as you would think it to be. We found a pair of mint-coloured leather pants. Guess the price..?


Then we found Sherlock's door (from the series) which is sadly not labeled with 221b Baker Street, but we were guaranteed it is the actual door that's used while filming. It was pretty neat.


Then it was time to eat, and go home. Luckily we were on a train for the ride back, and luckily it wasn't a night train.
Even though I feel as if I didn't do much (or at least didn't do all I would have wanted to do in London) I was exhausted returning home. And tomorrow I have to get up and prepare to go to Oslo, Norway.

But I shall return to London, someday. I hope to spend a week there, next time. Seriously, a day and a half in London isn't nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment